Friday, April 22, 2011

Appsterdam

You may have been hearing some rumors and jokes around Twitter concerning something called "Appsterdam". If you've been wondering what that's all about, wonder no longer, Mike Lee lays it all out for you. It's an interesting idea, and I must admit I'm intrigued and would love to go. For a handful of personal reasons, I simply can't expatriate to Amsterdam at this point in my life, but I am seriously considering going over a few times per year to soak up the community, and if things take off, who knows? My reasons for not going are relatively temporary.

The nice thing about what we all do is that it really doesn't matter where we do it, so I can work from Amsterdam just as easily as from my house.



8 comments:

K. A. Barber said...

Hmmm, does the author really consider Europe and Cali to be the only places with mobile development saturation? I wont go into listing other dev friendly areas. I will state that IMHO, it shouldn't matter where you are. If you are talented, driven, and unrelenting there is a place for you in mobile development whether your in North Dakota, Japan or California. The Internet can be
highly collaborative if you let it.

Shawn said...

Sounds like Portland, Oregon.

Matt Thomas said...

K. A. Barber,

I agree that the internet has allowed us to collaborate from anywhere, but there is something to be said about actually meeting with people in person that just can't be replicated over the internet. I think that's why conferences are still very popular. Some ideas are just easier to convey in person.

Jarface said...

I'm curious about Mike Lee's motivations? Is he a paid evangelist for Appsterdam? Is he an independent developer? What company does he represent if any?

Adam said...

I stayed in Amsterdam for 8 months. It's really cool place to live. I visit many different cities and Amsterdam is best :)

Jeff LaMarche said...

K.A. Barber:

I'm pretty sure Mike knows that there are many places with tech saturation. He was looking for a place that met certain criteria to create a new saturation - a place where there's a physical community, not just online. There's a reason why we all get together several times a year at conferences and other events. Most of us in the community actually like each other and like having the opportunity to hang out.

Jarface:

Mike, I believe, was the person who got the ball rolling on Appsterdam. I believe he was the one who got private industry and the city government to work together. But reach out to Mike, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer your questions.

rage said...

Jeff, do you know how I could contact him?
Couldn't find contact info anywhere...

Nico said...

You can contact him at twitter:
http://twitter.com/#!/bmf