Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tile Cutter Open Sourced

I have open-sourced Tile Cutter under the MIT license and put it on Github as a public project. This application was written extremely quickly (less than half a day) because I needed the functionality for a client project, so there are several things about this application that are klugey, including some uncomfortable crossing of the boundaries between what a view should do and what a controller should.

But, it works, and I don't see myself having time to go clean it up anytime soon, so I'm donating it to the public good, warts and all. I welcome back any enhancements, bug fixes, or modifications, but you are not required to give anything back under the license.



4 comments:

Igor said...

Just had a quick look at the code and I was surprised not to find CGImageCreateWithImageInRect() and CGBitmapContextCreate() functions in there. Instead, you have NSImage & NSBitmapImageRep methods used in the code.

It was all new to me. So, the question is why doesn't Apress (or any other publisher) make a general book about Cocoa(Touch) graphics APIs, Quartz & CoreGraphics, CoreImage, text, fonts, animations, all the Cocoa classes like NSBitmapImageRep, and everything else we can use to draw things on Mac & iOS? Is there something like this in the pipeline?

Jeff LaMarche said...

NSImage and NSBitmapImageRep are Cocoa-only, they're not available in Cocoa Touch (NSImage is the equivalent of UIImage, NSBitmapImageRep doesn't have a Cocoa Touch counterpart - you have to use lower level CG calls).

My philosophy is to use the highest abstraction I can to accomplish a job. I don't use CG calls when NSImage and NSBitmapImageRep are sufficient.

As for why Apress doesn't have a book on any specific topic, I can't answer, but I'm guessing because there's not enough perceived demand for such niche books. Learn Cocoa has sold a fraction of what Beginning iPhone Development has sold, and a more specialized Cocoa book would likely sell even less.

But, you'll have to go to Apress for the real answer, this is just conjecture on my part.

SEO Services Consultants said...

Nice information, many thanks to the author. It is incomprehensible to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and good luck! Web Design Company

Melvin said...

I was going through the code that you have provided. I was a bit confused whether it really works or not. But it really works and it is really helpful.

iphone app developer