Friday, March 12, 2010

Alive!

Sorry for the dearth of posts lately. Things have been quite crazy. I've got a couple of super-secret projects I've been working on that can't announce just yet, plus I've been keeping busy doing contract work for clients to try and catch up a bit financially from how long More iPhone Development took to write.

On top of that, we've decided to move from Central New York to Florida, so we've got the added burden of trying to get the house ready to go on the market. Plus, our washing machine broke. It seems that the closer we get to the end of a fiscal quarter (royalties are paid quarterly), the more likely a major appliance or car will crap out. Last quarter, it was my wife's car. This quarter it's the washing machine. Doesn't make sense to buy a new one and then pay to move it, so we're without a washing machine until the move, meaning more time devoted to hand washing and/or going to the laundromat. A family of six (plus a dog) generates a lot of laundry.

Don't mean to complain, the washer wasn't exactly new and these things happen, but I wanted to let you all know why the pace of new posts lately has slowed down so much the last week or so. I haven't forgotten you all, I'm just having trouble finding the time to do everything I need to do.

On a happier note, I ordered an iPad today. I'm starting with a dev device, but if we like it, we'll probably get another one or two for the family later one. I'm pretty excited about the opportunities this device presents, and I can't wait to see some of the killer apps people devise for that big touch screen. I've got a few SDK 3.2 topics I'd love to cover here but, alas, the whole NDA thing has stifled me a bit as well.



10 comments:

Eric H said...

What city did you move to in FL? I'm from West Palm Beach, but don't know too many other iPhone devs around the area :).

amar said...

Hi Jeff, It really surprises me that people who usually copy contents from your blog have even copied this post. It is really awesome.

K. A. Barber said...

Yeah life gets in the way sometimes. My wife loves for strange family related situations to come up because I have to focus on the her and the kids more during those times. We will still be here so... Take some time and do you!!

bioffe said...

it is sad to loose you here in New York. However your business model is different. There is a lot of big enterprise iphone development in our area.

Andy W said...

Sorry to hear about your troubles. When it comes time to replace the washer, can recommend a Miele; had one for a couple of years and it's a great machine.

Jeff LaMarche said...

Eric:

We haven't moved yet, but we'll be moving to the Orlando area when we do. We have to get this house ready to sell and then sell it before we can actually move, probably be late summer before we're actually living down there.

Amar:

Yeah, I've basically given up trying to stop it. As long as I provide the full RSS feeds, people are going to do this and I can't afford the time to try and stop people. The kind of person who would steal another's work usually doesn't make it easy to contact them to ask them to stop.

K.A. Barber:

Yes. Life rarely cooperates. Ah, well.

Bioffe:

Where I live in New York, there isn't really any development going on. I'm not from the city, though I teach there occasionally.

But, honestly, I don't miss the Enterprise work. I did it for years. I prefer to code than to deal with bureaucracy and politics.

Andy:

I don't think I've ever seen a Miele over here, but I'll keep that in mind when we're shopping.

ScottYelich said...

I fled WPB in '08. Avoid S/SE FL.
I'm in the City now (yay, back from WPB!),
and I find there's lots of work here -- and not really too much bureaucracy. This post is also a test to see if comments are working again (they were broken for so long).

James L said...

Look forward to getting your take on the iPad SDK and iPad itself.

JRock said...

from a former central new yorker, i'm giving your future move a thumbs up. of course i live in connecticut now which isn't so exciting either.

hope you and your family has a nice transition.

Maka said...

Jeff,

Orlando is a great town, been here since the early 90's. Give a shout when you get to town :)

mg