Thursday, September 24, 2009

Barcode Generator Application



For grins and giggles, I tried compiling an Xcode project I created back in 2002. Well, technically, it was a Project Builder project created in 2002 that was converted to an Xcode project a couple of years later, but the bulk of the code was written back in 2002. I wanted to see how much work would be involved in taking a project that was written when Puma was the current version of Mac OS and Macs were shipping with PowerPC processors and getting it to compile to work in 32/64 bit mode for Intel Macs.

Code changes required? Not a one.

There were a bunch of warnings that I would address if this were shipping software, since a couple of methods I used back then have been deprecated. None of them have yet been removed, so the application works (as far as I can tell) exactly as it did back in 2002. The project configuration was where almost all of the work was in updating, and there wasn't much of that, to be honest. Total time investment, about 20 minutes.

That's pretty damn amazing, different architectures, different register size, and a seven-year-old codebase written when I knew a heck of a lot less about Cocoa. Despite all the amazing changes to Snow Leopard, this old code still works flawlessly.

If you're interested in a free Barcode application, you can download the compiled application right here. If you have a version of the OCR-A font installed, it will attempt to use it (you can get a free one here), otherwise it will fall back on the system default monospace font.

I will push the project changes to Google Code when I have some free time.



7 comments:

hellracer69 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
djeans said...

Hey,

I have used this program a couple of times, and it is really cool. I remember way back when I first downloaded the program, you had made the source code available as well. I didn't download it because I knew nothing about coding, but I am currently trying to learn. I would love to check out the code for this, if you are still willing to make the source available.

Thanks

Darron

Manoj Kumar Duraisamy said...

I trying to get the source of the barcode generator but its not available in the google code.

y said...

Where's the source?

Please, pleas, please upload or link to it somewhere!

dev said...

Since this is a blog on iPhone development: A free (as in beer) library for barcode creation with iPhone OS (all common code types) can be found here:

http://www.softmatic.com/iphone.php

Edwin said...

scrub m65 kamagra attorney lawyer body scrub field jacket lovegra marijuana attorney injury lawyer

h4ns said...

What youre saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what youre trying to say. Im sure youll reach so many people with what youve got to say.

Arsenal vs Huddersfield Town live streaming
Arsenal vs Huddersfield Town live streaming
Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Stoke City Live Streaming
Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Stoke City Live Streaming
Notts County vs Manchester City Live Streaming
Notts County vs Manchester City Live Streaming
Bologna vs AS Roma Live Streaming
Bologna vs AS Roma Live Streaming
Juventus vs Udinese Live Streaming
Juventus vs Udinese Live Streaming
Napoli vs Sampdoria Live Streaming
Napoli vs Sampdoria Live Streaming
Fulham vs Tottenham Hotspur Live Streaming
Fulham vs Tottenham Hotspur Live Streaming
AS Monaco vs Marseille Live Streaming
AS Monaco vs Marseille Live Streaming
Alajuelense vs Perez Zeledon Live Streaming
Alajuelense vs Perez Zeledon Live Streaming
Technology News | News Today | Live Streaming TV Channels