Monday, August 3, 2009

A Mac App Store

Back before WWDC, one of my long-shot predictions was the creation of a Mac App Store following the same business model as the iPhone App Store. It didn't come true, and now with the various issues surrounding the App Store, I've changed my mind that it would be a good idea. I've come to the conclusion that I like not having Apple as the gatekeeper for what Apps can do.

But, it's nearly impossible to argue that the App Store isn't convenient. It has its issues, but its a great idea, which is why the App Store is flourishing despite all the negative press.

Now, a third-party called Bodega is extending the idea to Mac applications, and it's a snazzy little application.

In some ways, Bodega outdoes Apple's iTunes Store. The interface is clean and easy to use, and it's filled with lots of little touches reminiscent of the Delicious Generation. For example, when you move the window around when the "Featured" option is selected, the little hanging signs you can see in the picture above swing with gravity and creak as they move. It's an unnecessary, yet completely satisfying little touch.

This project is still in its infancy, but it shows a lot of promise and it's one I'm definitely going to keep an eye on.


Orville Chomer said...

Actually, I think it would be a great idea for Apple to have a Mac App Store in iTunes. Unlike apps for the iPhone, it could be A way to get apps on your Mac not The way.

Of course Apple would have the right to decide what ends up in their store (just like any other brick and mortar store). This would give users a certain expectation of quality. And it would be just darned convenient!

Again, just cuz Apple does not allow apps on the iPhone unless it is through the App Store, does not mean they have to make it work exactly the same way for the Mac.

I would love it!

Jeff LaMarche said...


It's possible, sure, and it's a great idea in theory. But I'd have to think that the way they've run the iPhone App Store is the best indication we have as to how they'd run a hypothetical Mac App Store, and unless there are some changes, I probably wouldn't participate in a Mac App Store until I saw some strong evidence that it was going to be run as a more fair and open endeavor then the iPhone App Store has been.


MattBD said...

An app store of that kind is not unprecedented - Linspire's CNR is essentially a version of this for Linux.
Personally I think much of the reason the iPhone App Store has been such a success is the price point - you can buy casual games for little more than loose change. While a PS3 game will cost about £30-40, a game for my iPod Touch can be had for under £1. It returns game prices to the kind of level they were when I had my Amstrad CPC in the late 80's. Also, it places indie developers on a level footing with giant publishers like EA.
This kind of distribution model makes a lot of sense on any platform since it minimises distribution costs. I could easily see someone like Amazon offering a cross-platform online purchase system for software so you can buy and download software for any platform.

amplife said...

that would be a great idea !