Friday, July 17, 2009

WWDC 2009 Videos Available for Purchase

Apple is now offering the videos from WWDC 2009 for sale for none-attendees.

I've had several people ask me if they should buy these videos or ask if they "are worth it".

I've held off responding to those inquiries so far, not to be rude, but because I wanted to make sure that I was careful about my recommendation. You see, I find this a difficult question to answer for someone else. If I hadn't gone to WWDC, I would buy them without hesitation. It's hours and hours of information ranging from beginner level to advanced, with a considerable amount of information about what's been newly added and what's coming in future releases.

Your situations may not be the same as mine. As a full-time writer and programmer working only with Apple technologies, it's really important that I stay on top of things. I need to be aware of what's available as well as what's coming down the pipeline. For many independent Mac and iPhone developers, those things are equally important so they can adjust their product roadmap appropriately. For me, and I would guess for many independent developers, the answer really would be "can you afford not to". As a business expense, $300 or $500 isn't very much.

For a casual developer, however, someone with one or two iPhone applications in the store, the equation becomes more a question of can you afford them. $300 per track, or $500 for both is very reasonable for the amount of information contained in the videos and slides, but whether it's worth it for you will depend on your own financial situation and whether you need or can use that information. I don't want to give a recommendation that causes anyone to spend money they don't have or can't afford.

Are the videos great? Yes, most of them are really great. Are they fairly priced? Yes. Should you buy them?



I'm going to have to leave that last one to you, sorry.



14 comments:

pippin said...

Don't forget the sample code in the equation!
Although it may be less important this year (since there's more other stuff available online now) it was what really got me running with iPhone development last year!
And for all the new stuff it's probably still important - and interesting to see how the "state of the art" changes over time, e.g. on customizing table view cells.

Michael said...

Thank you. I think I will buy them. I'll post a comment back here once I have and once I've viewed a few.

Thanks, M.

Jeff LaMarche said...

Pippin:

Honestly, I wasn't as happy with the sample code this year. While there are some good samples, they didn't give us any of the OpenGL ES 2.0 code, for example. Last year, there Touch Fighter 2 and quite a few really practical bits of sample code. This year, a lot less. :(

But the source is an advantage of buying the videos, that is true.

John Wilker said...

Not to be a schill :) Jeff feel free to remove. But one option, for about the same price (not counting travel of course) is 360|iDev.

jrock said...

jeff - would you say the videos provide anything above the apple documentation?

Jeff LaMarche said...

jrock:

Yes, given how fast they got them out, definitely. Much of the information will get incorporated into the regular documentation in the future, but even at that, there's a lot of tips and tricks that won't likely every make it into official documentation.

Jeff

Jason Hurdlow said...

I personally thing that Apple should be making these available for free. I know a lot of Mac people think Microsoft is evil, but let's be honest, they have this right. Their dev support is light-years ahead of Apple's. And guess what? They publish most of this kind of content for free, available to all. I was watching videos from PDC typically within 24 hours of when the session happened, all for free. Apple needs to realize that making it easy for their devs to get access to good accurate information is in their benefit. Charging $500...? You've got to be kidding me! I'd better have them hand-delivered by The Steve himself on BluRay for that cost.

jrock said...

thanks for the info! looking at the list of sessions, i can count at least 20 that really interest me so i think i'm going to make the splurge.

jrock said...

jason - my retort to you is that the ms developer tools aren't free - not by a long shot. sure you can join msdn, but its costly and frankly the documentation there is spotty. need to get a your devs up on team studio? get ready for a straight kick to the gut. at least with os x, xcode is included and you can get started with development before becoming an registered developer for a mere $100.

DadGuy said...

My biggest concern is not the $300 for the sessions. It's filtering through a couple week's worth of information. I don't have a couple of weeks to sit down and learn them. So while I am continuing to learn about the iPhone and cocoa in general, I still ahven't gone through everything I'd like to from last year's sessions. Wish I got paid to go to WWDC. Maybe someday.

Duane said...

Anyone tried watching these on AppleTV? The format appears compatible (MP4, H.264) but I get an "unrecognized format" error on the AppleTV.

m said...

@Duane

I tried watching the WWDC 2009 videos an Apple TV, and they don't work. DRM is preventing them from playing. Called the ADC support, and they were escalating the issue. But, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Edwin said...

scrub m65 kamagra attorney lawyer body scrub field jacket lovegra marijuana attorney injury lawyer

h4ns said...

What youre saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what youre trying to say. Im sure youll reach so many people with what youve got to say.

Arsenal vs Huddersfield Town live streaming
Arsenal vs Huddersfield Town live streaming
Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Stoke City Live Streaming
Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Stoke City Live Streaming
Notts County vs Manchester City Live Streaming
Notts County vs Manchester City Live Streaming
Bologna vs AS Roma Live Streaming
Bologna vs AS Roma Live Streaming
Juventus vs Udinese Live Streaming
Juventus vs Udinese Live Streaming
Napoli vs Sampdoria Live Streaming
Napoli vs Sampdoria Live Streaming
Fulham vs Tottenham Hotspur Live Streaming
Fulham vs Tottenham Hotspur Live Streaming
AS Monaco vs Marseille Live Streaming
AS Monaco vs Marseille Live Streaming
Alajuelense vs Perez Zeledon Live Streaming
Alajuelense vs Perez Zeledon Live Streaming
Technology News | News Today | Live Streaming TV Channels