Friday, May 15, 2009

Just for the Record

Mobile Orchard asked for, and was given permission to run my circle gesture posting. I've also given them pretty much a blanket permission to re-run any posting from my blog at any time. The Mobile Orchard guys are good citizens and definitely members of the iPhone dev community, so please don't go accusing them of anything on my behalf, please :)

Also, while Planet iPhone SDK did not approach me, they specifically credit both the source blog and the author when they re-post material. While it would have been nice to have been told that they would be re-running my material, I'm really not at all jazzed by it. They've done proper attribution. If you read one of my articles on their site, you know who wrote it and what blog it originally came from.

Like I said, I'm pretty easy-going about this stuff. I'm not looking to crucify people that use my material, II just want to be credited for my work. Nuff said.


Robert Kosara said...

Planet is a feed aggregation service, and there are tons of different "planets" for different topics. See Planet Planet for more information.

It would be a good idea for the folks running these planets to ask the people whose feeds they include, but since they are pure feed aggregators (with links back), it's not strictly necessary (IMHO).

GregVKaiser said...

I have your book and it is the best of the three iPhone SDK books I have! I did not know about your blog until I saw the post on Mobile Orchard so it was good advertising I guess.

I started about 2 months ago on the iPhone SDK learning and your book and Stanfords online free CS193P class together have been a good start.

Keep up the good work!

Jeff LaMarche said...


I'm not about to try and figure out what's "strictly necessary" - there's a reason why IP Attorneys make $500 an hour.

But, as I said, as long as I'm credited and they link back, I don't have a problem with it. PlanetiPhoneSD is not an issue for me. Now,, on the other hand, is running my articles in full and are neither identifying the source blog nor identifying the name of the author. Legal or not, it's an asshole thing to do (but I suspect it's not legal).