Friday, January 9, 2009

Macworld 2009 Post Mortem

Okay, I'm sitting in my hotel room and the Macworld Expo is officially over - it ended at 4:00 (it's 6:33 as I type this). I have an early flight and I decided to be responsible and not go out yet again, though there were a few opportunities that tempted me, including the meetup at the W.

I had a great time this week. My previous trips to Macworld were nowhere near as busy nor anywhere near as fun. I got to talk to and hang out with a huge number of very cool people, got some leads and possible work, and just had an absolutely great time being around other Mac geeks.

But the week has taken its toll on me: I am absolutely exhausted and I got very little work done.

I didn't take very many pictures this week, but one I took that some people might be interested in is this picture of the glossy and non-glare screens on the 17" MacBook Pro side-by-side. It's not a great picture, I only brought my point and shoot and the lighting wasn't very good, but it does show the difference in the screens and the fact that the bezels are different colors (silver vs. black). I definitely like the non-glare better, I'm just not sure I like it $50 better. The glossy screen doesn't bother me as much as it used to.



A huge thanks to all the cool people who made time for me this week, and to anyone I missed, I'm going back into hermit mode, but I'll be back out for WWDC and would love to meet even more Mac and iPhone programmers.

I'll be traveling most of tomorrow, then Sunday is going to be an offline day spent with the family. Monday, I'll be back at my desk, business as usual.



3 comments:

Andrew Pouliot said...

Hi, it was great to meet you at Raven's party; I just wanted to add something that might be useful to people reading this post:

I did a detailed comparison of the matte vs. glossy displays and, despite being a firm matte advocate beforehand, was ambivalent afterwards.

Here's the thing:
The glossy display is brighter, way brighter. It can punch through the glare, where as the matte display isn't as prone to it, but doesn't have the raw brightness to match. The gamut of the glossy display also looked way better, though some colors looked a bit eggagerated, I'm sure that could be metered with a color profile.

While the display is very nice on the new MBP, I'd say that it's still not perfectly calibrateable—despite what Apple says, the color reproduction does decay once you get out of the sweet spot, so the usable viewing angle isn't as good as a desktop display.

Jer said...

Hi Andrew,

I've owned various powerbooks and macbook pros over the years and have been a staunch matte fan.

And then a couple years back I spent a couple days setting up a new macbook for my sister. It was glossy. Funny thing, going from my matte MBP to her machine, it just looked better. Much better. Like my eyes were saying "finally, some brightness and color!"

When it came time to order a new MBP I bit the bullet and went with glossy. I don't regret it at all. 90% of my computing is at home or the office in a controllable environment without any glare. When traveling there can be situations with more glare but an angle adjust and/or brightness increase usually takes care of it.

Even if someone came out with a little clip-on matte "filter" for those other times I wouldn't bother buying one. It's just not that big of a deal for me (hey, but that might be a great product right now!).

Jeff LaMarche said...

Andrew - very nice to meet you also. Macworld was a whirlwind this year, met tons of great people.

Anyway, thanks for your comment, and you too, Jer. I actually feel pretty much the same way about the screen, though I don't do much that requires perfect color calibration, so that's not really a concern for me.

But yeah, the glare isn't the issue it used to be, and the glossy screen does appear brighter and maybe even a little crisper. I'm really torn, honestly. Had it been a free option, I would have gone with the matte for sure (mostly out of habit), but since it's not free, it's going to be a tough decision.